Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A HOT Sunday

I am NOT enjoying this heat wave we are having...fall weather please return. On Sunday we had two outdoor events to attend: 1. Church service/Picnic at Mile Square Park and 2. OC Japan Fair.

Having church at the park was a nice change of pace. We brought our blankets and chairs and made sure to sit under some trees. Unfortunately, the sun shifted so that we were not completely shaded. Some might say it is distracting to have church outdoors, but if the distraction is God's creation, I don't really see a problem with it, especially since it is only once every couple of years.

church picnic

cookie pop
Cookie pop! (She didn't eat the whole thing...n and I had some bites, too!)

We didn't stay for all of the games after lunch because it was just too darn hot and we were all really tired. We pretty much just crashed when we got home (actually, both kids crashed in the car on the way home). However, we had free tickets to the OC Japan Fair at the Great Park, so we went there around 4 p.m. for an early dinner. We ended up seeing people from church, some of whom went straight from the picnic! Craziness. We just found a couple of chairs in the shade, D sat with the kids, and I braved the heat to buy the food. I ended up with yaki soba ($5), spam musubi (2 for $3), beef teriyaki sticks (2 for $4) and a red bean pancake ($1.50). I thought the spam musubi was really good, maybe the best I've had. I liked how they put the big crisp sheet of nori on to order, so it didn't get soggy. k liked it too. D liked the beef the best. The yaki soba was just "eh". Surprisingly, n liked the red bean pancake! I think he thought the inside was chocolate, so he had a puzzled look at first, but he kept on eating it.

spam musubi

red bean pancake

We also received three free boxes of tofu, so I guess I'll have to come up with some recipes. This event would have been much more enjoyable if it weren't so blazing hot. It improved from the year before...bigger venue and more booths. It is also interesting to see those non-Japanese japanophiles, like the girl dressed up as Sailor Moon.

No comments: