Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Born to Run

My brother gave me the book “Born to Run” for my birthday.  I didn’t know what to expect.  But when I started to read it, I stopped reading the other book that I was reading at the time, because “Born to Run” was so riveting.  It is actually rare that I read a book at all, so reading two books at once is very rare for me.  But once I started to read “Born to Run”, I looked forward to reading the book at night.  I wonder if I had read more as a kid, I would have done better on the SATs.
Anyway, the book helped propel the barefoot shoe craze, and brought light to the reclusive Tarahumara tribe in the Copper Canyons in Mexico.  It was entertaining, but also instructive.  I made some changes since reading the book.  I try to keep my back straight, land on the mid-foot of my feet instead of my heel, and try to keep my strides short.  I also am planning to move full time to my lighter race shoes.  I usually run in the Asics 2100 series and race in the Asics DS Trainers.  However, I am planning on running full time in the trainers. 
However, most importantly, after reading the book, I remembered why I love running so much.  I sometimes get caught up in just trying to improve my time, and training gets boring and tiring.  However, I appreciate the blessing God has given me to allow me to run without major injury and to run in a beautiful country.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen